Car Glow Plugs
What Is a Glow Plug?
The glow plug is a key component in the combustion process of the diesel vehicles. The glow plug makes it possible to increase the temperature of the combustion chamber during start-up (of the order of 800 °). The first explosion (combination of compression and incandescence of the pencil) launches the diesel engine. Then the cycle is started.
The quality you can trust
- 100% of Valeo glow plugs are tested according to O.E. specifications.
- Each single glow plug experiences more than 70 tests during the production process.
- 100% Ferro-Cobalt Premium material inside ensures Valeo Glow plugs a faster heat-up time and a reliable cold-start.
Thanks to original double wires technology, Valeo glow plugs reduce the pollutant emissions for vehicles equipped with pre-post heating system.
Valeo tip for replacement
Valeo recommends replacing the glow plugs in a range of 80,000 to 120,000 km, without having any signs of malfunction. Otherwise, there is a risk to not to be able to disassemble the candle, taken by the residual scale in the combustion chamber at its thread.
The glow plug is a heating device that provides the additional energy required to start a diesel engine. It is a key component in the combustion process in diesel engines.
How Does a Glow Plug Work?
The glow plug allows the temperature of the combustion chamber to increased to 800°C when the engine starts. Thanks to a combination of compression and incandescence of the glow plug, the first explosion launches the diesel engine and the cycle is started. Driven by the engine’s compression from the first explosion, the fuel injectors spray the air and diesel mixture into the combustion chamber.
At a certain level of compression, the temperature becomes sufficient in the combustion chamber to trigger a new explosion of the air and diesel mixture. The glow plug has the particular feature of operating only during the first operating cycles of the engine.
Glow plugs are only found in diesel engines and work differently than spark plugs, which help to start petrol engines. Unlike the glow plug, spark plugs work every time the piston is compressed.
Why Choose Valeo Glow Plugs?
- 100% of Valeo glow plugs are tested according to OE specifications, and each car glow plug undergoes more than 70 tests during the production process. The result is a glow plug that will perform at its intended level of performance
- Valeo glow plugs are made from premium 100% Ferro-Cobalt material to ensure a faster heat-up time and reliable cold-starts
Thanks to the original double-wire technology, Valeo car glow plugs reduce pollutant emissions for vehicles equipped with a pre-post heating system
Valeo recommends replacing the glow plugs between 80,000 and 120,000 km (50,000 - 75,000 miles), without need for any sign of malfunction. Otherwise, the glow plug could become trapped by residue buildup in the combustion chamber, preventing it from unscrewing from its niche inside the engine.