Protection of all parts in AC loop
The receiver drier is a component that protects all the other parts of the A/C loop. It is located between the condenser outlet and the expansion valve inlet, on the high pressure side of the circuit.
The receiver drier has different roles:
- To retain moisture and contaminants from the system (during the receiver drier lifetime)
- To finalise and secure condensation of the fluid
- To compensate for the variations of fluid volume
- To ensure oil return to the compressor
Valeo proposes the receiver driers for Heavy duty, in it for example for MAN truck applications.
Regularly replacing the filter prevents serious system failures and costly replacement of the other components in the air conditioning system. Valeo recommends that the cartridge drier be:
- replaced minimum every 3 years as preventive action
- replaced whenever the circuit is opened. For example, after an accident in which the condenser was damaged, the cartridge drier must be replaced, or the desiccator will no longer retain the humidity in the circuit. It will become saturated with humidity.
Due to its role, the cartridge drier is hygroscopic. Therefore the basic rules must be heeded when replacing it on a vehicle or the new cartridge drier may be damaged. If the cartridge drier is not replaced, the operation of the loop will deteriorate and you will be at risk of a breakdown (blocked expansion valve, impurities in the circuit, etc.)
The cartridge drier must always be installed in the loop at the very last moment, just before the vacuum procedure.