Increase the engine power
The intercoolers (Charge Air Coolers) are designed to reduce fuel consumption while increasing the engine power and efficiency. The intercooler’s task is to reduce the temperature of the inlet gas and thus densify the air required which optimises the combustion. The intercooler lowers the temperature of the inlet gas from 130° C to 60° C, removes the negative effects of the turbo and increases the power by around 20%
Ever increasing and rigorous anti-pollution laws (Euro 4, Euro5, Euro 6) are pushing car makers to reduce diesel and petrol engine capacity to limit fuel consumption and emissions control (downsizing).
Engine performance and driving pleasure is preserved by adding a turbo or a supercharger and therefore an intercooler. As the results the intercooler market is rapidly growing.
Valeo charge air cooler, the innovative solution combining performance with a compact design
With its O.E. expertise in Thermal Systems, Valeo offers for aftermarket the intercooler (Charge Air Cooler) range benefiting from strong experience:
- Specially designed folded tubes and turbulators, to ensure the optimum performance
- High resistance plastic for structural integrity
- Specific aluminium alloys developed to resist internal corrosion and extreme operational conditions
- Gripping area for high pressure and hose connection, to ensure connection between the intercooler and high pressure hoses (23-28mm)
- Flexible side plates, to allow the intercooler to expand its core under temperature changes
- Reinforced ribs, to resist high working pressure
O.E. quality by Valeo
- Rigorous tests for mechanical and corrosion resistance (Thermal shocks, vibrations or durability)
- Exact fit and optimized cooling efficiency
- Both technologies: air and water cooled available in aftermarket offer
- Covering most European popular applications equipped with turbochargers: BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen, Renault, Ford...
- All intercoolers are carefully packaged, in order to minimise the risk of transport damage and provide the most practical usage.
Valeo Innovation with water cooling
Forging ahead the market evolution Valeo developed a revolutionary and environmentally friendly, the water cooled charge air cooler which was elected Winner of the PACE Award 2013.
In that technology Valeo uses water, plastic ducts (lighter than steel and less polluting), high energy density heat exchangers and a high pressure EGR valve which mixes charge air with recirculated exhaust gas to reduce both CO2 and NOx emissions, increase efficiency and achieve overall weight reduction.
In ASEAN markets you may see this solution mainly on European origin vehicles like cars from Volkswagen Group.
Discover our selected Valeo intercoolers and many more in our catalogs…
|Valeo part||Application for||Year||OES cross||Traffic||Air or water cooling|
|818263||BMW 1,3,4 series F20 2L||2012||17 51 7 618 809||RHD/LHD||Air cooling|
|818260||BMW 1,3,4 series F20 3L||2011||17 51 7 600 531||RHD/LHD||Air cooling|
|818259||BMW 1,2,3,4 series F20 2,0&1,6L||2011||17 51 7 600 530||RHD/LHD||Air cooling|
|818841||PEUGEOT 308||2007||1440-H9||RHD/LHD||Air cooling|
|818290||PEUGEOT 308||2013||9675627980||RHD/LHD||Air cooling|
|818276||MERCEDES C CLASS (204)||2007||2045000500||RHD/LHD||Air cooling|
|818227||CITROEN C5||2009||1440-Q9||RHD/LHD||Air cooling|
|818852||NISSAN NOTE||2005||14461-9U21A||RHD/LHD||Air cooling|
|818838||AUDI A1||2010||03F145749C||RHD/LHD||Air cooling|
|818226||PEUGEOT 308||2009||0384-N9||RHD/LHD||Air cooling|
When to replace an intercooler?
- Due to the position, the intercooler should be changed with the radiator, after a front end crash, but also in the case of air-leak, or when the corrugated fins are damaged. This can occur when road debris passes under the bumper or through the front grill.
- An intercooler failure is felt by the driver as a power decrease. It may also lead to a problem with the engine ECU as a result of intercooler failure. The emission levels can also increase as a result of failure which may affect the annual MOT emissions levels
- Improper maintenance: Incorrect lubricant oil replacement, overly tight connections, incorrect check or incorrect cleaning (air intake manifold) are also some causes of the intercooler failure